Buffalo State Dance Association performs ‘Circle Dance in the Round’ this week

Francesca Bond, Social Media Editor

The Buffalo State Dance Association will perform “Circle Dance in the Round” from April 26-29 in the Donald Savage Flexible Theater.

This show will be different from previous Dance Association shows because it is their first one in the flexible theater, which has a circular stage and seating on all four sides.

“[This show] challenged the choreographers to figure out how to choreograph from where the audience is sitting,” said Stephanie Selby, social media specialist working in conjunction with the Buffalo State Dance Association.

There are going to be five unique pieces, each choreographed by different faculty members.

“Not only is this the first time they’re doing this kind of performance, but these students work very hard to perfect this craft,” Selby said. “This shows the dedication to not only dance but also to their friends and family who show up.”

Seventeen students will be dancing in this performance and not all of them have dance concentrations. While there is a dance concentration with the Arts & Letters major and a dance minor, there is no dance major at Buffalo State, so the Dance Association has members from a multitude of departments.

“Just because you’re not a dance major doesn’t mean you can’t dance. This will inspire people to do whatever they want to do,” Selby said.

The pieces and choreographers include; Light Warrior by Naila Ansar; Piece by Piece by Patricia Quinn; Departure from Within by Melissa VanOsch; The Vow by Michael Lambert; and The Edge of Reason by Joy Guarino.

There will be shows at 8 p.m. on April 26, 27, 28, and 29, as well as a matinee show at 2 p.m. on April 29. Tickets are sold at the box office in Rockwell Hall and cost $8 for students, $10 for faculty and staff, and $15 regular admission.