Black Active Minds hosts BAM week with variety of events

James Janik/The Record

BAM Week kicked o on Monday, Nov. 7 with a presentation, followed by a series of various events throughout all of last week.

Joseph Morganti, Staff Writer

Black Active Minds hosted BAM Week, which included a number of presentations to explain different themes and ideas that Black Active Minds is all about, this past week.

BAM Week started off with the presentation “Yours, Mine, Our History.” It was on Monday, Nov. 7 for two hours in Bulger Communication Center West 2. It was a discussion about the cultural differences of man groups of the African diaspora and how we perceive the identity of each group.

The next event, “Words and Lyrics,” was hosted on Tuesday, Nov. 8 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Assembly Hall 1 and 2. It is Black Active Mind’s annual event that celebrates all different art forms by students. Artworks such as spoken poetry, spoken word, lyrical inspiration, and many more. Previews of the event were held in the Student Union during Bengal Pause. Students were welcomed to come up and perform spoken word poetry as they wished.

“21st Century Slavery” was hosted on Wednesday, Nov. 9 from 7 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. in Bulger Communication Center South. It was a discussion featuring members of African descendants and how they are not fully free as though stated in the constitution. Issues were given with suggested solutions.

“Go Pray About It” was on Thursday, Nov. 10 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Classroom Building C122. It discussed mental health in the black communities in regards to how to strengthen it and what can worsen it.

“BAM Members Appreciation” was on Friday, Nov. 11 from 5 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. in Technology Building 160. It celebrated the success of BAM throughout the start of the semester with members and as well as support from all students. Activities and snacks were provided.

The last event, “Turn Up Tie Dye,” was on Saturday, Nov. 12 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in Assembly Hall 1 and 2. It is Black Active Mind’s 4th annual Turn Up Tie Dye party. T-Shirts and tie dye materials were provided, but were limited. It was a celebration of BAM, and all of what it accomplished.

Black Active Minds founded in 1991 at SUNY Buffalo State with the purpose of providing wellness and establishing community connections for females and males of the human race. They aim to build unity amongst people, and encourage the principles of self-awareness, self-determination, collective work and responsibility. Black Active Minds will continue to increase knowledge and perspective of life concerns. They hold their general interest meetings every Tuesday from 12:30 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Technology Building Room 160.

Black Active Minds has 139 total members, and some of which have been members for several years. If interested in joining Black Active Minds, you can apply online through Bengal Connect. BAM events for the spring semester haven’t been announced yet, but stay tuned on the Buffalo State website for future events.