Women’s club rugby wins another close contest over Geneseo

Jennifer Bzryski

The Buffalo State banshees remain undefeated on the season (6-0)

Jahvon Graham, Reporter

Another week, another win for Buffalo State women’s rugby club. A 20-15 win marks their sixth consecutive victory and pushes their record to 6-0.

For the second consecutive week, they battled to win a close match – they came out on top last week with a slim 2-point win. Earlier on this season, they were blowing teams out. The last few games have been much closer, but they continue to come out on top, and all wins look the same in the standings.

“By winning matches like this one, it builds our confidence,” senior captain Kirsten Dole said. “It pushes us to work harder, to keep up this winning streak.”

The last two weeks, the offense has been missing a little bit, but the defense has stepped up big when needed.

“I definitely think we have what it takes to keep up the winning streak, offensively and defensively. We’ve been doing it all season long,” Dole said.

The team refuses to become complacent despite their success. The women’s rugby club refuses to let that be the case, as they will still work hard in practice.

“Conditioning is still the main focus at practice, along with defensive drill. No matter how good you think you are, you can always improve on defense if you allow points,” said Dole.

Next on the schedule for the women’s rugby club is an away match against Oswego on Saturday, Oct. 15. They will look to keep their win streak alive and push it to seven games.

Although the results have fallen short of the goal for Buffalo State men’s rugby club lately, their confidence has not waivered.

Cortland handed the men’s rugby club their fourth consecutive loss after their opening week win over Niagara. The 34-5 defeat pushed their record to 1-4 on the season with two games left. The five-point scoring total tied the lowest of the season for the team.

“We just were not able to create large opportunities for scoring tries,” senior captain Justin Bryzski said. “One big thing is continuity. We need to be able to string together phases of play.”

“On offense, I believe that we are improving every week,” sophomore Justin Morris said, “but due to our team being relatively new to each other, and even some new to the game, we haven’t really gotten the chemistry that we need.”

The rugby club is sporting a very young team this year and that might be one of their downfalls.

“We are just at a rebuilding point,” senior August Edwards said. “We have a very new team composed of people who have not played very long.”

The team is looking ahead and look to end the season strong.

“As a team, the next two games are crucial. We are not known for rolling over and we do not plan to,” said Morris.

With two games left in the season, the men’s rugby club has their focus set on winning them both. The playoffs seem a bit farfetched at this point, but if they win their next two, it’s not out of the question.

“We plan on winning the next two games and securing an opportunity to secure a wild card spot in the playoffs,” said Edwards.

Next on the schedule for the men’s rugby club is a home match against Rochester Institute of Technology on Saturday, Oct. 15.