Former student pleads guilty to staff threats

Reuben Wolf, Reporter

On Sept. 6, former SUNY Buffalo State student Benjamin Bolton, 32, plead guilty to charges regarding threats of assault against several Buffalo State faculty, administrators and police officers.

Originally from Glendale, CO, Bolton was admitted to Buffalo State’s criminal justice graduate program for the fall 2013 semester and was suspended in April 2014 for disputes with faculty members.

According to a press release given by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Bolton had made numerous threatening phone calls to Buffalo State staff members between June and August of 2015 while at home in Colorado. By virtue of these calls being across state lines, the Federal Bureau of Investigation became involved and partnered with Buffalo State’s police department in pursuing charges against Bolton.

“It started with a series of telephone calls he made to professors, administrators and even our own officers to air out some grievances he had,” said University Police Department Chief Peter Carey. “Since he was in another part of the country, the FBI became involved and now he is being federally prosecuted.”

Prior to his arrival at Buffalo State, Bolton did have a record of minor disputes and was being monitored by police, but there was never anything that could be considered criminal to his name. It is also unknown as to whether or not there was a history of mental illness. As of right now, he faces either a five-year prison sentence, a maximum fine of $250,000, or both.

Members of the criminal justice department who were targeted by Bolton were unavailable for comment. Other victims targeted by Bolton are nameless as well.

Sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 19 of this year.