Soccer standout Luke Pavone to miss rest of season with a broken toe

Pavone will take medical redshirt

Dave DeLuca/The Record

Luke Pavone, pictured in a walking boot, looks on during Tuesday’s game against Medaille. Pavone will miss the rest of the season with a broken toe.

Andrew David Kuczkowski, Sports Editor

The season started off on the wrong foot for the Buffalo State men’s soccer team.

The team learned Tuesday that senior forward Luke Pavone will miss the rest of the season due to a broken big toe he suffered in the Bengals’ season-opening loss to RIT on Sept. 2. Pavone says he will use his medical redshirt and return to the program next fall.

Pavone led the Bengals’ attack last season, tallying 11 goals, three assists and 24 points in 17 games. Pavone transferred from Division I UMass last season to play for Buffalo State coach Mark Howlett. The pair has a relationship that extends beyond the field, as detailed by The Record last fall.

The injury came in the early parts of the game against RIT.

“I just went into a hard challenge,” Pavone explained via phone Wednesday, “and it happened so quick, I don’t even know. My toe just hurt and I kept playing on. But I kept playing until I couldn’t play on it anymore.”

“… It was like a balloon. Black and blue like a broken toe would look like.”

While Pavone could have tried to rehab and potentially come back later in the year, a return seemed unlikely and he opted to redshirt instead.

“There’s a lot of options that went into the decision,” Pavone said. “It is a couple day process, but at the end of the day, I think it’s the best decision to make. And I look at the roster we have now, it will be exciting to come back with most of the guys that I see everyday in the locker room.

“It will be a great opportunity next year. I wish I could play this year, but at the end of the day, it is what it is.”

Sophomore Bass Sarr, who was second on the team with 7 goals last season, will now be leaned on more to spark the Bengals attack. 

The setback to begin the season isn’t optimal for the team with high hopes. However, Pavone’sexpectation for his team doesn’t change whether he is on the field or on the bench.

“I think the team is stronger than ever, honestly,” Pavone said. “They looked great yesterday against Medaille (on Tuesday). Huge 4-0 win. I say they’re in great shape, the guys are looking well and fit.”

The Bengals will travel to SUNY Fredonia to begin a two-day tournament against Baldwin Wallace on Friday, Sept. 9 at 1 p.m. and Houghton on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. 

Twitter: @kuczkowski95