Track and field runs in back-to-back meets

Emmanuel Rodriguez, Reporter

The Buffalo State track and field teams had two meets over the weekend, one at the St. John Fisher Cardinal Classic on the campus of St. John Fisher College in Rochester, NY, and another at the Cornell Big Red Invitational on the campus of Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, the final regular season meet of the season.

Sophomore sprinter Robert Liebel won the 200-meter dash on Saturday in Rochester, clocking in at 21.74 seconds. He also teamed up with Stephen Johnson, Travis DeMuth and Mike Roach in the 4×100-meter relay and captured first with a 42.05 second finish. Liebel also competed in the 4×400-meter relay, teaming up with Dallas Taylor, Jerome Willis and Donovan Knutt. That quartet won the bronze, clocking in at 3:22.72.

Benjamin Ezike was runner-up in the long jump on Saturday (6.77m), but being second on the podium did not sit well with him.

“My performance was okay I guess,” he said. “My team did great as always; the young jumpers are starting to get the hang of it. Look out for them.”

Sophomore jumper Jamie Mullings finished third in the high jump event at 1.93m. Freshman jumper Robert Alexis finished second in the triple jump at 13.27m.

DeMuth also competed in the 100-meter dash, finishing in second place at 11.11 seconds. Sophomore Eli Lawal finished fifth in the same event at 11.19 seconds. Roach finished fifth in the 200-meter dash, clocking in at 22.36 seconds.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay squad continued to dominate on Saturday with a new face. Catarra Burroughs took the place of Dayonna Holmes and teamed up with Niasha Houpe, Shuntone Pricher and Jazlyn Porter. The quartet won the 4×100-meter event at 47.02 seconds, which is second-fastest thus far this season in D-III.

“Dominating might not be a good enough way to describe it,” Liebel said laughing. “They’re running so fast, it’s amazing to watch.”

“It was beautiful,” Ezike said. “They just look so smooth through everything. I thought everything was perfect, but after they ran, I listened to their conversation. They were talking about things to fix. Just imagine how much faster they’ll be next time.”

Houpe also competed in the long jump and finished in fifth with a 5.37m jump. Burroughs and Pricher also competed in the 200-meter dash and finished in second and third at 25.46 seconds and 25.65 seconds respectively.

Junior long distance runner Elizabeth Wall competed in the 3,000-meter steeplechase and finished in second at 11:59.94.

Freshman mid-distance runner Ronni Kordrupel claimed third-place after an 800-meter run that clocked in at 2:19.58.

Liebel and Taylor competed in the 400-meter dash on Sunday at Cornell. Liebel placed first in that event, finishing in 49.29 seconds. Taylor finished in eighth place, clocking in at 50.74 seconds.

“It was incredibly windy and that made it hard to run a fast time,” Liebel said. “For the windy conditions, it’s a pretty good time, plus, I was still a little sore from the meet (Saturday).”

Freshman hurdler Nick Gray finished in fourth in the 110-meter hurdles, clocking in at 16.58 seconds. Roach and DeMuth competed in the 100-meter dash and claimed fourth (11.20s) and sixth place (11.34s), respectively.

Porter competed in the 400-meter dash and won the event at a blinding 57.62 seconds. The senior sprinter from Niagara Falls even beat out D-I competitors at the event.

Senior jumper and hurdler Treasure Glymph finished in fourth place in the high jump (1.55m) and triple jump (10.90m).

Kayla McLean and Sasa Vann both competed in the 400-meter dash and finished back-to-back in fifth (1:00.00) and sixth (1:00.39), respectively.

Sophomore thrower Tianna Gillenwater competed in the shot put event. The former New Rochelle Huguenot placed seventh with a 10.36 meter throw.

The SUNYAC Championships are set to begin on Friday and Saturday in Oneonta.