String of crimes reported involving Buffalo State students

Staff Reports

A slew of crimes involving SUNY Buffalo State students has happened in the previous week.

Three Buffalo State students have been arrested in connection to what Buffalo Police have said to be a scheme to steal identities and create forged credit and debit cards.

The arrests were made on Tuesday, April 5. Officials detained 23-year-old Mohamed Kaba, 24-year-old Nkemjika Ogbuagu and 25-year-old Kelsey Dapaah in connection to the identity theft scam.

The arrests come after a year-long investigation on forged debit and credit cards. Police learned that the students created dozens of credit and debit cards in this time to use to steal goods and products both online and in the local Buffalo area.

The Buffalo State students now face charges of second-degree criminal possession of a forged instrument and criminal possession of a forgery device. Buffalo officials also say that Kaba faces additional charges in relation to the stabbing on campus last semester.

University Police are investigating an alleged sexual assault that occurred in the Student Apartment Complex Sunday night, UPD said in email to registered students. The victim, a female Buffalo State student, told University Police that the assault occurred during a social visit to the male suspect’s apartment.

The investigation in the sexual assault is ongoing.

“Sexual assault can happen anywhere, at any time, to anyone, male or female. If you are the victim of a sexual assault, you are encouraged to immediately contact University Police at (716) 878-6333 and seek medical attention. An on-campus advocate from the Counseling Center may be notified for immediate assistance. A report to University Police can empower the accuser by exercising her/his legal rights and can aid in the protection of others,” University Police caution.

The Buffalo News said that Buffalo Police reported that a Neumann Hall resident was taken to Erie County Medical Center around 3:50 a.m. Friday to treat a large cut on his arm allegedly suffered in the aftermath of a large fight near campus. Northwest District Police said the student was struck with an unknown object by an unidentified person on Parkdale Avenue.

The News reported that the victim also suffered a large gash to the back of his head. Police could not give a description of the assailant, but they were planning to reach out to potential witnesses.