Letter to the editor: Join NYPIRG Today!

Nigel Peters, Club Member

Have you ever felt like you were paying too much for tuition, and wanted to do something about it? Do you feel like you could do more to protect your environment? Is helping the homeless, and hungry something that you aspire to do? The New York Public Interest Research Group works on all of these things and more. NYPIRG, a non- profit run by students, campaigns for college affordability, voter registration, consumer and environmental protection, and awareness of hunger and homelessness. These campaigns truly affect our everyday lives and futures. Being part of this organization is a wonderful opportunity to make a positive difference on your campus, in your community, and throughout the state. NYPIRG offers volunteer hours and a credited on-campus internship every semester.

We will be having a Student Action Meeting on February 17, 2016 from 5-6 pm in Bulger West. There will be a guest speaker, and we will discuss each campaign. If you want to get more involved, come to weekly chapter meetings – every Thursday at 12:15 in the Campbell Student Union, room 419. Upcoming events and campaign issues will be discussed at each of these meetings. We look forward to working and partnering with students and other organizations this semester to continue to educate, advocate, and fight for students’ rights!

For more information about NYPIRG, please contact Wes Thomas at [email protected] or visit our office in the Campbell Student Union room 419.

By: Nigel Peters, Current NYPIRG Intern and CIS Student