Buffalo State’s season comes to an end after 17-12 loss to Geneseo

Jennifer Brzyski

Buffalo State lost to Geneseo for the second time this season on Saturday.

Taylor Moran, Reporter

As Pat Summitt once said: “You can’t always be the strongest, most talented or most gifted person in the room, but you can be the most competitive.”

The Buffalo State’s women’s rugby team left the field with no regrets after a tough 17-12 loss against Geneseo this past Saturday, ending their season.

Despite losing to Geneseo earlier this season, the women worked together on the field during a high-energy game, playing consistent rugby throughout.

The ladies kept it together as they were faced with the difficulties of breaking through Geneseo’s defense once again and moving past the try line in hopes of scoring.

With the only two scorers of the game, senior Gabby Buzzelli and senior Eugenia Okai led the team in points; senior fly house Buzzelli scoring a total of 7 points in the game (one try and one kick) and senior Okai scoring 5 points (one try).

“It was a tough game,” Buzzelli said. “Having already lost to them, we knew going in they were a tough team, but we played good; everyone played really well and we all had great communication. Our coach knows how tough of a team they are, but knows we gave it our all.”

As the ladies’ season comes to an end, they now look forward to spring when they will be traveling to tournaments and developing their skills and conditioning even further. Practices start again as early as the beginning of January.

“We still meet three times a week,” captain Mary Sica said. “We encourage the girls to come and to work out as we prepare for practices to start up and we head into our spring tournament season. Overall, this fall season has been really good and now we prepare to get ready for the next part of our season.”

Reflecting on the season, the ladies can be nothing but proud as they saw progression and improvement through each we week of games and practices.

Realizing, as a team, they are strongest together, they have come a long way from the beginning of the season and have improved tremendously on and off the field.

“We have a winning record overall” Sica said. “Everything that we have done wrong or incorrectly throughout the semester we have fixed; our coach is very proud of us.”