Women’s hockey sees winning streak snapped

Buffalo State Sports Information

Freshman forward BriCarroll has two goals and six assists in 10 games played.

Andrew Kuczkowski, Reporter

The 2014-2015 season started off well for the Buffalo State women’s hockey team, winning five out of the first six conference games, but this last weekend the Bengals’ hit a rough patch, losing and tying to out-of-conference Franklin Pierce.

A scoring drought ensued as the first of the two games they were shut out 4-0. The Bengals’ regrouped to face the Ravens for round two on Sunday. The game ended in a 1-1 tie, but showed improvements.

“I am very happy with how our new players are able to step up on the scoring sheet [early in the season] and in the locker room,” head coach Candice Moxley said. “And it’s just been great to see the strides we have been taking as a program and as a team.

“All-in-all, I am very happy with how our season has started off, but I don’t think we are anywhere near our potential or capabilities just yet. There is still room to grow there.”

In both games, the Bengals had higher penalty minutes and less shots.

“It’s been an ongoing battle with us,” Moxley said. “We put up 40+ shots in some games and in other games we just struggle to find the net, or the back of the net. Then I would like to see some of our freshman kind of take those strides forward and paying the extra price to get to the net front and get the job done.”

Senior forwards Kara Goodwin and Jeyna Minnick lead the young Buffalo State squad.

“Well I think this past weekend, we couldn’t get our breakout going,” Goodwin said. “We usually just get it to the wing around the board then have a smooth breakout, but that wasn’t working. So we have to adjust that and start working up the middle and try to do different things.”

“As a senior, I want to be shown as an example and keep everyone level-headed instead of getting mad at each other,” a passionate Minnick said. “As well as being positive, when we got scored against in the third period, everyone was like ‘crap,’ and I was saying ‘we still have time, let’s stick together, we could do this, don’t worry.”

Last year, Buffalo State had difficulty keeping a full team, having only 12 total players including 2 goalies.

“I walked into this program a little bit late,” Moxley said. “I was behind the ball for recruiting and we played with what we had and we did well considering [the circumstances]. And this year with the new players we are still recruiting for next year.”

The Bengals face an uphill battle before winter break, facing undefeated Plattsburgh (8-0-2) in a two-game weekend, Friday at 7 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. Plattsburgh is ranked number one in D-III women’s hockey.

“It’s a huge game against Plattsburgh, they are number one in the nation,” Minnick said. “It’s like, oh my gosh, we have a chance to beat them this year. It’s a lot of pressure and I think a lot of girls are nervous, but sticking together, we will be able to put up some competition.”

“I would love to see a good [fan] turn out here,” Moxley said. “Plattsburgh has a good program. They are on top of our conference and one of the top programs in the country [in Division-III]. I think the more support we have, the better.

“It’s going to be a tough game, but you know what I think our girls can battle through it and steal two from [Plattsburgh]. Every team is human, you just have to find their weaknesses and take advantage.”