Bengal Bucks going off-campus

Autumn Evans, News Editor

Bengal Bucks could soon be useable at a local supermarket, according to representatives from Tops Friendly Markets who spoke at last week’s United Students Government meeting.

Eric Wurl, Tops district manager for the metro-Buffalo area, said that after the company’s Grant Street location was renovated, they were looking to form a partnership with the student population at SUNY Buffalo State.

“There’s many things we can do to build that relationship, through funding you with goods or financial (means),” Wurl said.

One of those things is to allow students to use Bengal Bucks at Tops. Wurl said the paperwork is currently in the process of being looked over.

Speaker Pro Tempore Jennifer Rodriguez questioned how Tops would do that, because Bengal Bucks are not currently available anywhere off-campus this semester.

Wurl said there were “lots of hoops to jump through” with processing and fees, but he expected the option to be available by Oct. 5, or Oct. 13 at the latest.

USG members also offered suggestions on how the store might better cater to students, including ideas such as staying open later, holding special promotions for students with ID and offering transport between the store and the campus.

Later in the meeting, USG AVP for Public Relations and Record reporter Steven Cornelio gave an update on the “Grant Team,” the student volunteer group he suggested during the previous meeting. He said he and Executive Vice President Emily Leminger were submitting a proposal for the creation of the team.

Cornelio also announced that he was working on an event with the Career Development Center called “Digital You”, a session where students learn how to make an online portfolio and form an online presence. The tentative schedule for the event is 3p.m.-7 p.m., Oct. 24 in the Assembly Halls.

He also said a Bengal Connect mobile app was being produced and changes to the Bengal Connect website were being considered.

At the end of the meeting, USG appointed four new senators: Jamilia Kelly, sophomore criminal justice major and volunteer at the Grant Street Neighborhood Center, Brenda Lugo, freshman undecided major, Cassandra Torres, freshman physics major and Iddris Abbas, sophomore business administration major and NIA (Nurturing, Initiative and Achievement) mentor.

“To me, giving back to every community you belong or were a part of at one time in your life is the best thing you could ever do,” Abbas said.

In other USG news:

• AVP for Campus Affairs and Government Relations Bangali Doumbia told USG he received positive feedback about his proposed meditation room and would have more information at the next meeting.

•Sen. Trevon Williams was appointed the new gaming committee chair, running unopposed.