WBNY to host concert for campus

Autumn Evans, News Editor

SUNY Buffalo State’s alternative college radio station, WBNY, will hold a concert to welcome new students to campus on Tuesday, Aug. 26.

The concert, part of the campus’ “Weeks of Welcome”, will take place during Bengal Pause from 12:15 PM to 1:30 PM in the quad outside of Campbell Student Union. Local rapper Chae Hawk and local garage rock band The Naturalists will perform. The station will be serving free hot dogs and hamburgers at the event.

“This is the first time we’ve done this, and hopefully we can do it every year from now on,” said Brian McDermott, general manager of the station.

McDermott said he hoped the event would give new students an opportunity to meet each other.

“It’s a good way for them to interact, get to know each other, and overall it’ll be a fun time for everybody,” he said.

Sara Ali, local show and news director, said the concert is also an opportunity to introduce students to the station.

“It’s a really great way to network and get good experience, especially if you’re going into the field of communication,” she said. “You get to talk on the radio, you get to have your own radio show … you get to do all sorts of thing, whether it’s sports-related, news-related, whatever you want.”

Ali said that students from any major were welcome to join and to stop by the station’s headquarters in Campbell Student Union 220.

“Even if you don’t want to be a DJ, you can just come in, say hi, hang out in the checkerboard lounge and make new friends,” she said.